The Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce is here for business. We continue to work hard to serve our members, local businesses and the Santa Maria Valley community. Here’s a glimpse at what we’ve been up to this past month.
Catalyst for Business Growth
- Chamber CEO Glenn Morris chaired a meeting of the Performance Committee of the Workforce Development Board to ensure that the programs designed to serve local businesses and local job seekers in our county were meeting their goals and expectations.
- The Santa Maria Valley Visitors Bureau launched a new promotion “Take a trip to Santa Maria Valley for $500 or less” highlighting local businesses and attractions and the affordability of visiting the Santa Maria Valley.
- Community members joined the Chamber on an Industry Tour of VTC Enterprises, which provides an array of services for adults with disabilities.
Convener of Leaders & Influencers
- The Business/Government Roundtable reviewed a potential ballot initiative proposing changes to state law to address increased commercial theft and other crimes. The Roundtable also reaffirmed the Chamber’s support for the city’s proposed Public Art Plan and recommendations to broaden the funding scheme associated with the plan.
- Chamber CEO Glenn Morris was joined by Marian Regional Medical Center CEO Sue Anderson and Safran Cabin Interiors CEO Tony Guy as members of the Hourglass Board of Directors. The Chamber was pleased to nominate these two local leaders to help guide this regional economic development initiative.
- The Chamber staff joined staff from six other Central Coast Chambers for a training on “telling the Chamber’s story” and a mixer to build relationships with our partners across the region.
Champion for a Stronger Santa Maria Valley
- Leaders from the Chamber’s Economic Development Commission and Business/Government Roundtable met with staff to begin planning the Chamber’s involvement in the upcoming City of Santa Maria General Plan Update.
- Chamber CEO Glenn Morris joined business leaders from across the state for a meeting of the CalChamber Board of Directors. Presentations focused on the state of California’s economy and public opinion updates on issues facing the state and it’s businesses.
- The Chamber’s tourism team recently attended FestForum in Santa Barbara and IAEE’s ExpoExpo in Las Vegas. The team took the opportunity to learn about the festival, meeting and exposition industries and how Santa Maria Valley can position itself as an ideal location for large city-wide events.