The Santa Maria Valley Chamber of Commerce is here for business. We continue to work hard to serve our members, local businesses and the Santa Maria Valley community. Here’s a glimpse at what we’ve been up to this past month.
Catalyst for Business Growth
• Chamber CEO Glenn Morris participated in CalChamber’s Public Affairs Conference, where he received briefings on the state economy, voter attitudes around key economic issues, and the priorities of the new state administration.
• The Chamber attended a meeting of the Chamber Alliance for Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties; reviewed results of advocacy efforts in the 2019 legislative session and plans for the Alliance’s annual update in January 2020.
• The Chamber hosed a meeting with regional economic development organizations working on projects related to growing the economic impact of Vandenberg Air Force Base to help better coordinate and collaborate on these efforts.
• Chamber staff attended a workshop on the art of storytelling and how to apply storytelling to marketing. New techniques learned will help strengthen chamber marketing efforts when promoting the local business community.
Convener of Leaders & Influencers
• The Chamber hosted the 2019 State of the City, where City Mayor Alice Patino and City Manager Jason Stilwell gave an update on successes and challenges the city is facing.
• The Chamber met with representatives from Hancock College and local school districts to explore ways to collaborate better to align CTE educational programs with local business needs.
• Chamber CEO Glenn Morris participated in the CalPoly President’s Local Economic Development Committee quarterly meeting.
Champion for a Stronger Santa Maria Valley
• The Chamber met with local developers and the City to discuss ways to fund and advance the City’s General Plan Update.
• The Chamber’s SM Connect Young Professionals group hosted a meeting focused on leading with change, where attendees learned techniques for dealing with change and other leadership skills.
• The Energy Watch Partnership (administered by the Chamber) hosted an informational meeting with public utilities and school facility representatives to explore ways to advance energy efficiency efforts at school facilities in Northern Santa Barbara County.
• The Chamber continues to attend Santa Maria Open Streets meetings and participate in dialogue on how to get community leaders and businesses involved in the 2nd annual event.