May 1, 2019
Active Transportation Plan Community Workshop
The City of Santa Maria will host a community workshop to discuss its Active Transportation Plan update, on Thursday, May 9th from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. in Shepard Hall at the Santa Maria Public Library, 421 South McClelland Street.
The City is updating the plan to create an actionable guide for building a connected bicycle and pedestrian network that will provide safe, affordable, and accessible transportation alternatives for everyone in Santa Maria. More information can be found at www.activesantamaria.com.
The plan will:
• Create a vision for encouraging physical activity as part of everyday travel,
• Develop a network of streets, trails, and paths where bicycling and walking is safe, comfortable, and convenient for people of all ages and abilities,
• Support the City’s goals for cleaner air and healthier communities,
• Promote a more sustainable and equitable community by improving mobility and access for all.
The workshop on Thursday, May 9th will:
• Present an overview of the scope of work for this plan update,
• Present preliminary data related to active transportation safety and mobility,
• Provide an opportunity for community residents to identify key locations where improvements are needed.
The Department of Public Works staff will collect feedback as the project continues through the planning phase. The City will update residents on its progress with another community meeting and outreach events this summer. Community members can also use this website to access an online survey and use a mapping tool through the end of August.
For more information, please visit the project website at www.activesantamaria.com or contact the Department of Public Works, Engineering Division, at (805) 925-0951 extension 2225.